Big Data - Data Warehouse - Things to know

Continuing Tommy’s big data series, today you and I will learn about data warehouse- what you need to know. In this article, we will go together to answer questions 4W + H.
Yooo! :love_you_gesture: :love_you_gesture: :love_you_gesture:

• Firstly, answer the question What?
    Data warehouse is simply a warehouse to store data:)). This warehouse is essentially a relational database management system (RDBMS).

Oh, what’s the difference between data warehouse and database? It’s a good question, we will answer this question in the following sections.

• Next, answer the question When?
    When do we use data warehouse? In short there are 4 main reasons to consider using it.
  1. Need to analyse data from different sources
  2. Need to separate our analytical data from our transactional data.
  3. Original data source is not suitable for querying
  4. Increase the performance of our most-used analytical queries.

Let’s continue !

• Now, answer the question Who?
    Who use Data Warehouse ? So Data Warehouse used by knowledge workers such as executives, managers, and analyst, etc.

• Answer the next question, Why?
    Why we need Data Warehouse? Of course for the benefits it brings :smiley:
    Some of the benefits of a data warehouse can be mentioned:

1. Understand business trends and make better forecasting decisions.
  2. Perform well enormous amounts of data.
  3. The structure is more accessible for end-users to navigate, understand, and query.
  4. Queries that would be complex in many normalized databases could be easier to build and maintain in data warehouses.
  5. Efficient method to manage demand for lots of information from lots of users.
  6. Provide the capabilities to analyze a large amount of historical data.

Let’s focus !!!

• Finally, answer the question How?
    We’ll answer the question: “How Data Warehouse work”? The question “How to build a data” will be answered in the following sections :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

A picture is more than a thousand words!

1. A data warehouse may contain multiple databases.
  2. Within each database, data is organized into tables and columns.
  3. Tables can be organized inside of schemas.
  4. When data is ingested, it is stored in various tables described by the schema
  5. Query tools use the schema to determine which data tables to access and analyze.

Well, that’s all :v:

In this section, we have an overview of the data warehouse, what it is, when we need it, who uses it, how it works. Of course, in order to understand how the Data Warehouse applies to the Retail Assistant product, we will need to learn more about the other knowledge.
So, see you all again in the next sections! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

3 Likes

Hi @anon71048603, can you share your ongoing handbook about Data Warehouse? I think it provides much more information about Data Warehouse for everybody.

1 Like

yeah, i will try my best :innocent: