Today most of the retailers have at least one brick-and-mortar store and an e-commerce website. They are two of popular sales channels. The challenge here is creating better inventory integration between these channels.
Magento MSI (Multiple Source Inventory) is a new inventory management solution which provides two different layers of stock:
- Source stock, the stock that is physically in a source.
- Aggregate stock, the virtual stock of what can be sold in a sales channel.
Basically, merchants can set-up a new source & new stock which is linked to both of their e-commerce store & physical store. So when there is a new sales order on a channel, the inventory will be updated & synced to others. We recommend using a POS software which integrated to Magento. It’s better if that is a Magento native solution like Magestore POS.
Limit inventory for online sales channel
In some cases, merchants want to limit the inventory will be allocated for online sales channel because they prefer in-store sales. This feature allows to saving inventory for the higher priority channel. For example, there are 30 items of Neck Cotton T-shirt in Location A.
- 30 in stock
- 10 will be allocated for both of online channel & in-store
- 20 will be allocated only for in-store
That means, you can not sell more than 10 items of the T-shirt via the website, and able to sell up to 30 items to in-store customers.
So we suggest setup sources & stocks as below:
- Source A1 contains 20 items, links to stock POS-A
- Source A2 contains 10 items, links to both of stock Web-A & POS-A
- Stock POS-A will be used for in-store (POS A)
- Stock Web-A used for online channel
How to implement this solution with Magento MSI & Magestore POS?
- Create Source A1 & Source A2 in Magento Backend.
- Setup Stock Web-A which links to Source A2 & Magento Website.
- Setup Stock POS-A which link to both of sources A1 & A2 as well as POS A.